Family Immigration – Traditional and Same Sex Marriage


The immigration attorneys of Dade County's Law Offices of Rhonda F. Gelfman, P.A. are committed to assisting the husbands and wives of US citizens gain approval for residency in the United States. If you are a US citizen and are legally married to a foreign national of the same or opposite sex, you can sponsor your spouse for a family-based immigrant visa. Our lawyers can assist you in filing the paperwork and expediting the process. Contact our Miami law office today.

Sponsoring Your Spouse for US Residency

US immigration law allows for a married citizen or legal resident to sponsor his or her spouse for a family-based immigrant visa, which often leads to US citizenship. Until recently, this law has only been available for traditional marriages. Same-sex couples were denied participation even when they were married in a state or country that acknowledged same-sex marriage. With the Supreme Court's decision to strike down specific sections of the Defense of Marriage Act, US Citizens and Immigration Services established new guidelines that made foreign nationals who were in traditional and same-sex marriages with US citizens or residents eligible for visas. Now as long as a same-sex marriage is legally recognized in the state or country were it was formed, the foreign national spouse can receive a family-based immigration visa.

  • It does not matter if same-sex marriages are recognized in the state where the citizen resides.
  • If you are engaged to be married in either a same-sex or traditional marriage, you can apply for the visa in advance.
  • Both US citizens and permanent residents can apply for family-based immigration visas for their opposite sex or same sex spouses.

Professional Miami Immigration Attorneys for All US Districts

The immigration lawyers of the Law Offices of Rhonda F. Gelfman recognize how difficult it is for families to be separated by national boundaries. Our goal is to provide swift and effective legal services to our clients. We will ensure that your petition for a family-based immigration visa is filed properly so that you and your spouse can be together as soon as possible. Contact our Miami based law office to schedule an appointment to review your case. Our number is (305) 944-9120.

The Law Offices of Rhonda F. Gelfman, P.A. represents clients from most nations in all federal court venues. Spanish and Russian services are available, and we are able to contract with translators for most other languages.